There are pre-requisites to earn the CGCA title. The dog must:
1) be registered or listed with AKC (AKC number, PAL, or AKC Canine Partners number) AND,
2) already have a Canine Good Citizen award/title on record.
Dogs must pass all 10 items of the test to receive the CGCA title.
1. Dog stands, sits or lies down and waits under control
2. Walks on a loose leash in a natural situation (not in a ring)–does not pull.
3. Walks on loose leash through a crowd
4. Dog walks past distraction dogs present; does not pull.
5. Sit–stay in small group (3 other people with dogs).
6. Dog allows person who is carrying something (backpack, computer bag, etc.) to approach and pet it.
7. “Leave it.” Dog walks by food and follows owner instructions, “Leave it.”
8. Down or sit stay–distance (owner’s choice).
9. Recall with distractions present (coming when called). Handler goes out 20–ft. (off center) and calls dog.
10. Dog will sit or stand stay (owner’s choice) while owner enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway. Owner calls dog through door when ready.
Most Saturdays: Utility Practice (8:00 – 9:00 am) Open Competition Prep (9:30-10:30 am); Novice Obedience Competition Prep (10:30-11:30 am); Rally Coursework (11:30 am-12:30 pm) $15 for one class or two with one dog for $25 (discount not available for Utility). Reservations required. No class on May 28th. Instructor: Jackie Kurzban
Tuesdays: CONFORMATION HANDLING: 7:15 – 8:15 pm – $10 pay as you go. No reservations required, but call or email if attending your first time. Learn ring procedure, handling tips and how to emphasize your dog’s best traits as your dog gets accustomed to the conformation environment. George loves to work with new handlers and dogs to teach them how to show well & with joy! He is very good at bringing out the best in dogs & handlers. Instructor: George Griffin
Agility: Pre-Novice thru Masters Agility Skills & Sequences: On-going Monday & Wednesday mornings & evenings (varied times). Cost $21-25 per class. Whether you are already showing with your dog, getting ready for trials or just want to have fun, there’s always Agility classes going on weekly. Join a class and test yourself and your dog with the challenge of the week. We will be reviewing foundation obstacle & handling skills, introducing new ones and putting them together in longer sequences. Instructor approval required. Instructor: Tracy Hanna